[mou] PRAIRIE WARBLER/St. John's U.

Houghton, Timothy D. tdhoughton@stcloudstate.edu
Thu, 20 May 2004 19:10:54 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C43EC8.153BB1E2

>From about 4:45-5:45 today Bob Rodgers and I had the good fortune to =
closely observe a beautiful and beautifully marked male Prairie Warbler =
at St. John's University (Off I94 near St. Cloud). I've seen tons of =
these before in other places I've lived, but it had been 3 years since =
I'd seen one, and I know they're rare in MN. So we observed the bird to =
nail down all of the relevant physical attributes. Immediately we saw =
the strong (and unique)dark facial marks as well as the strong streaks =
on the sides. All yellow below. Faint yellow wingbars. Olive back. =
Bottom of tail with lots of white. I mean, it was obvious, but we took =
time--it was a lifer for Bob.=20

Then, after an hour--IT SANG! Finally. What a great thing to hear that =
song in MN.

The bird was still there when we left. It had been cooperative the =
entire time, flitting about around 20-30 feet high, sometimes lower, =
sometimes higher, in the same area.

If you want to try and see it, take the I 94 exit to St. John's, taking =
the road into the campus, and turn left at the stop sign. Turn right =
fairly soon into the parking lot behind the prep. school. When you look =
down the hill, you'll see an island of trees--keep going past that until =
you come to another island of trees that is somewhat long and narrow, =
between two athletic fields. A goal post is on one side and some =
bleachers are on the other. A path cuts through the woods (a mixture of =
hardwood and conifer, but mainly hardwood). As you approach this place, =
the PRAIRIE was hanging out on the left side. Be patient--it can be =
tricky seeing it with all of the leaves. God knows how long it will be =
there.

Tim Houghton

------_=_NextPart_001_01C43EC8.153BB1E2

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DWindows-1252">
6.0.6487.1">
<TITLE>PRAIRIE WARBLER/St. John's U.</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>From about 4:45-5:45 today Bob Rodgers and I had the =
good fortune to closely observe a beautiful and beautifully marked male =
Prairie Warbler at St. John's University (Off I94 near St. Cloud). I've =
seen tons of these before in other places I've lived, but it had been 3 =
years since I'd seen one, and I know they're rare in MN. So we observed =
the bird to nail down all of the relevant physical attributes. =
Immediately we saw the strong (and unique)dark facial marks as well as =
the strong streaks on the sides. All yellow below. Faint yellow =
wingbars. Olive back. Bottom of tail with lots of white. I mean, it was =
obvious, but we took time--it was a lifer for Bob.<BR>
<BR>
Then, after an hour--IT SANG! Finally. What a great thing to hear that =
song in MN.<BR>
<BR>
The bird was still there when we left. It had been cooperative the =
entire time, flitting about around 20-30 feet high, sometimes lower, =
sometimes higher, in the same area.<BR>
<BR>
If you want to try and see it, take the I 94 exit to St. John's, taking =
the road into the campus, and turn left at the stop sign. Turn right =
fairly soon into the parking lot behind the prep. school. When you look =
down the hill, you'll see an island of trees--keep going past that until =
you come to another island of trees that is somewhat long and narrow, =
between two athletic fields. A goal post is on one side and some =
bleachers are on the other. A path cuts through the woods (a mixture of =
hardwood and conifer, but mainly hardwood). As you approach this place, =
the PRAIRIE was hanging out on the left side. Be patient--it can be =
tricky seeing it with all of the leaves. God knows how long it will be =
there.<BR>
<BR>
Tim Houghton</FONT>
</P>