[mou] Pacific Loon- Lake Superior.

Michael Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Tue, 25 May 2004 13:23:23 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4425B.748C5EB0

Today at 9:00am I spotted a Pacific Loon on Lake Superior at 31st Street =
along Park Pt. The loon was first seen quite always out with a Common =
Loon and I knew it was different by the size and the way it held its =
bill level vs. the Red-throated Loon. The Pacific Loon began to feed and =
makes its way closer to the beach where it began to preen nearly 300 =
yards from shore. At one moment I got a quick look of the purple sheen =
from the throat patch.

The loon was not a complete breeding adult. The throat patch was not =
very large and other parts of the loon suggest it was still in a molt.=20

There were at least 5 Red-throated Loons on Lake Superior and many of =
them were about 300-500 yards from shore. The terns and gulls were still =
actively feeding on small fish. This feeding behavior reminded me of the =
ocean, where the gulls and terns would move where the fish congregated =
at. I have no idea what sort of fish moves in large masses other than =
smelt or fry herring. All I know up an down the beach the gulls and =
terns were scattered thru out moving up and down the beach feeding on =
them.

There were also a good assortment of warblers at Indian Pt. campground.

Mike Hendrickson=20
Duluth
------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4425B.748C5EB0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Today at 9:00am I spotted a Pacific =
Loon on Lake=20
Superior at 31st Street along Park Pt. The loon was first seen quite =
always out=20
with a Common Loon and I knew it was different by the size and the way =
it held=20
its bill level vs. the Red-throated Loon. The Pacific Loon began to feed =
and=20
makes its way closer to the beach where it began to preen nearly 300 =
yards from=20
shore. At one moment I got a quick look of the purple sheen from the =
throat=20
patch.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The loon was not a complete breeding =
adult. The=20
throat patch was not very large and other parts of the loon suggest it =
was still=20
in a molt. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There were at least 5 Red-throated =
Loons on Lake=20
Superior and many of them were about 300-500 yards from shore. The terns =
and=20
gulls were still actively feeding on small fish. This feeding behavior =
reminded=20
me of the ocean, where the gulls and terns would move where the fish =
congregated=20
at. I have no idea what sort of fish moves in large masses other than =
smelt or=20
fry herring. All I know up an down the beach the gulls and terns were =
scattered=20
thru out moving up and down the beach feeding on them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There were also a good assortment of =
warblers at=20
Indian Pt. campground.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Hendrickson </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Duluth</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4425B.748C5EB0--