[mou] Brown Cty. Common Moorhens

Hoeger-Lerdal prh@hutchtel.net
Sun, 30 May 2004 13:13:26 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C44647.E4A11200

This morning (5/30) while driving on US Hwy.14 from New Ulm to Sleepy =
Eye (to visit the sewage ponds), a flash of red on a coot-like bird in a =
rather small marsh-pond prompted me to slam on the brakes.  This =
seemingly inconsequential pond turned surprisingly productive as I was =
able to closely observe a pair of Common Moorhens swimming then foraging =
thru the marsh not more than 20 ft. from my car.  And while I was =
watching a Least Bittern flew across the pond into the cattails, and a =
Sora let loose with its whinny call.  This pond is on the south side of =
US Hwy. 14 (there is a good shoulder to park on), 3 miles east of the =
Essig / Sleepy Eye mileage sign as you leave New Ulm, or 1.5 miles west =
of Essig (between 195th and 200th Ave.and mile markers 96-97) on Hwy.14.
Pete Hoeger, Hutchinson
------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C44647.E4A11200

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This morning (5/30) while driving on US =
Hwy.14 from=20
New Ulm to Sleepy Eye (to visit the sewage ponds), a flash of red on a =
coot-like=20
bird in a rather small marsh-pond prompted me to slam on the =
brakes.&nbsp; This=20
seemingly inconsequential pond turned surprisingly productive as I was =
able to=20
closely observe a pair of Common Moorhens swimming then foraging thru =
the marsh=20
not more than 20 ft. from my car.&nbsp; And while I was watching a Least =
Bittern=20
flew across the pond into the cattails, and a Sora let loose with its =
whinny=20
call.&nbsp; This pond is on the south side of US Hwy. 14 (there is a =
good=20
shoulder to park on), 3 miles east of the Essig / Sleepy Eye mileage =
sign as you=20
leave New Ulm, or 1.5 miles west of Essig (between 195th and 200th =
Ave.and mile=20
markers 96-97) on Hwy.14.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Pete Hoeger, =
Hutchinson</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C44647.E4A11200--