[mou] More northern owl sightings

Steve Foss stfcatfish@yahoo.com
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:27:09 -0800 (PST)

A great gray owl was reported by several people along
Pioneer Road on the north side of Ely last Friday. I saw it
breifly as well. I also saw a great gray on Sunday morning
about 10 miles from Ely out on the Echo Trail. It dropped
into the ditch and came up with a least weasel. Though the
light was a bit too low for my camera, I saw the weasel
clearly through binoculars. The Echo Trail owl could be the
same one I saw in that general vicinity on Saturday, Nov.
6, or it could be the same one that was hanging around Ely
last week.

I saw another northern hawk owl 28 miles from Ely up the
Echo Trail, in the same bog I saw the hawk owl in on Nov.
6, quite likely the same bird.

I've had reports from a friend that a short-eared owl has
been hanging around a section of land near town, and I'm
trying to confirm that sighting.

Good birding,

Steve