[mou] FW: owls

Steve and Sherry Watson watsup@boreal.org
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:57:28 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-birding@boreal.org [mailto:owner-birding@boreal.org] On
Behalf Of Jim & Carol Tveekrem
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 1:41 PM
To: Birding@boreal.org
Cc: Beryl
Subject: owls

Yesterday afternoon we went owling, drove west to Lake Co. 6 into
Finland,
Co. 4 and Co. 3 west, into Two Harbors on 61, then north on Co. 2 to the
White Pine park just north of the intersection with Forest Hwy. 11.  We
saw
one Northern Shrike, a few chickadees, several pairs of ravens, a small
group of Redpoll sized UFO's which flew away at treetop height, but no
owls.
We came back to F. Hwy 11 and went east about 3 p.m.  Full sun until
just
before 3 p.m.  We saw one young (probably second year) Bald Eagle
perched
along F.H. 11.

We finally began seeing owls about 3:30, two Great Grays on F.H. 11
roughly
one mile west of the Beaver River, one Great Gray on Lake Co. 4 (402)
near
the east end of Lax Lake, one Northern Hawk Owl on south side of Co. 6
about
1/4 mile east of Leskinen Creek (marsh, really), another Great Gray on
Co. 6
just west of the Superior Hiking Trail parking area, and one Great Gray
on
Hwy. 61, 1/4 mile northeast of Manitou River.  All the Great Grays were
perched 15 feet or closer to the ground, all on aspen or birch except
the
Manitou R. bird, which was on top of a small spruce.  The Hawk Owl was
at
least 20' up atop a spruce, and moved twice to other perches just as
high
while we watched.

During the last owl invasion in winter 2001 we often saw Great Grays in
full
sunlight, but the snow was deep by late January that year.

Jim & Carol Tveekrem

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---