[mou] owls: Lake of the Woods & Sax Zim

4eagles@nelson-tel.net 4eagles@nelson-tel.net
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:32:59 -0500

Tom Valega and I spotted took a trip up to Lake of the Woods County
Thursday - Monday.

We spotted:

Northern Hawk-owl  -  5:24 pm (Thursday) 6 miles south of Baudette on
the west side of 72 Hwy
Ravens, Bald Eagles and Black-billed Magpies -  Friday -  on a deer
carcass along the road from WIlliams to Faunce
Roughlegged Hawks, Harriers and Black-billed Magpies  among the hay
rolls from Warroad Customs to Sprague (Manitoba)
Great Gray Owl - 5pm (Friday) across the street from the new
convenience store in Angle Inlet (Northwest Angle)
Ruffed Grouse and American Robins at the grape arbor at Jake's NW Angle
Resort
Great Gray Owl at Jake's NW Angle Resort (dawn and dusk) near the NW
Angle airstrip, and another (in the rain on Tuesday at 9:30am) on Hwy
49
Other NW Angle birds:  Northern Shrike, Snow Buntings, Tree Sparrows,
Pileated Woodpecker, Red-tailed Hawk, Evening Grosbeaks, Pine Siskins,
Horned Larks, Gray Jays, American Robins, a lone Black-bellied Plover
At the NW Angle dump:  Ravens, Black-billed Magpies and 5 bald eagles
additional Great Gray Owl reports at Prothero's Resort and Young's Bay
Tuesday around 10am we spotted another Great Gray Owl about 3 miles
west of the Warroad Customs on the south side of the road.

At 5pm Tuesday (42-degrees F in light rain) we looked for the Northern
Hawk-owl by Stoney Point.  We were disappointed.
However, we spotted it, down the road, perched on a power line (and
later on a power pole) on the east side of Hwy 7 - 1.8 miles north of
Sax Road.  We watched it for about 30 minutes - hunting first from the
power line, then the pole.

Heidi Hughes
PO Box 158
Nelson, WI 54756