[mou] RE: [mnbird] Good Bird Questions

Jim Ryan muchmoredoc@hotmail.com
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:43:20 -0500

Gentle birders,

Being an intermediate level birder, I understand that saying "all of them"
is not only irritating, but entirely misses the point. On the other hand, to
me, a good bird could be one I really enjoy seeing, no matter how common
(Eastern Bluebirds and Chickadees come to mind). A good bird could be one I
have not seen yet this year, or in this location, even though they are
expected or regular species. A good bird could be a common one needed to
fill out a days list.  (e.g, Gee, I haven't seen a Hairy Woodpecker yet
today - I know this happens to me at Xmas bird count time) Heck, when I'm
downtown, seeing rock pigeons and House sparrows brightens my day.

Generally speaking, I would say seeing a bird not normally expected in the
habitat/season could be a good bird without it having to be a Casual or
accidental species, though of course they are really good birds. And
obviously, any lifer is a good bird as well.

Pastor Al, you sure have a way of getting (good bird) conversations going.
It's great to have you on the listserv.

Jim in S. Mpls.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.  Understanding is not enough; we must
do.  Knowing and understanding in action make for honor.  And honor is the
heart of wisdom." --Johann von Goethe