[mou] Re: [mnbird] Weather

Chris Fagyal Chris.Fagyal@udlp.com
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:06:50 -0500

--=_BA9A770B.C3A3D039

Hmm...This is an interesting question...and one that takes some
pondering...

Most of my best "foul weather" birds have probably not even been
observed in the US.  One that sticks in my mind is Golden-crowned
Spadebill in Costa Rica at Los Cusingos right before it absolutely
dumped torrential rains.  Another would be Snowcap and Black-crested
Coquette in torrential rains that same trip a few days later at Rancho
Naturalista.  It rained so hard that we almost exclusively birded from
the balcony at Rancho because the trails were too dangerous to be on.

I haven't actually done any wonderous birding in miserable conditions
in MN.  At least not that I can immediately recall.  It was cold 2 weeks
ago for the Clark's Nutcracker, but I wouldn't call it horrendous.
Maybe the King Eider in April a few years ago up in Duluth...but again,
it was really only cold and drizzly..not horrible.

Chris Fagyal
Senior Software Engineer
United Defense, L.P. ASD
Fridley, MN
(763) 572-5320
chris.fagyal@udlp.com

>>> "Pastor Al" <PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net> 10/28/2004 07:15:35
AM >>>

While preparing for our staff meeting, I find myself contemplating the
pouring rain and the impact it will have on my birding later today.
It's easy to simply cancel plans & wait for better weather - considering
the impact on me, my optics and, supposedly, the birds.

But wait a minute.  Haven't some of the best birds come during
inclement weather?  Wasn't I being poured on while contemplating a state
early Blackburnian Warbler in WI?  Haven't some of the northern
specialties come during less than ideal winter conditions?  Haven't
conditions been "cold as sin" while watching unique gulls along the
Great Lakes?

How about you?  What have been some of your best foul weather (pun
semi-intended) birds?

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties
pastoral@princetonfreechurch.net

--=_BA9A770B.C3A3D039

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1458" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>Hmm...This is an interesting question...and one tha
takes some pondering...</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Most of my best "foul weather" birds have probably not even been observ
 ed
in the US.&nbsp; One that sticks in my mind is Golden-crowned Spadebill in C
 osta
Rica at Los Cusingos right before it absolutely dumped torrential rains.&nbs
 p;
Another would be Snowcap and Black-crested Coquette in torrential rains that

same trip a few days later at Rancho Naturalista.&nbsp; It rained so hard th
 at
we almost exclusively birded from the balcony at Rancho because the trails w
 ere
too dangerous to be on.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I haven't actually done any wonderous birding in miserable conditions i
MN.&nbsp; At least not that I can immediately recall.&nbsp; It was cold 2 we
 eks
ago for the Clark's Nutcracker, but I wouldn't call it horrendous.&nbsp; May
 be
the King Eider in April a few years ago up in Duluth...but again, it was rea
 lly
only cold and drizzly..not horrible.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Chris Fagyal<BR>Senior Software Engineer<BR>United Defense, L.P.
ASD<BR>Fridley, MN <BR>(763) 572-5320<BR><A
href="mailto:chris.fagyal@udlp.com">chris.fagyal@udlp.com</A><BR><BR>&gt;&gt
 ;&gt;
"Pastor Al" &lt;PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net&gt; 10/28/2004 07:15:35 AM
&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>While preparing for our staff meeting, I find
myself contemplating the pouring rain and the impact it will have on my bird
 ing
later today.&nbsp; It's easy to simply cancel plans &amp; wait for better
weather - considering the impact on me, my optics and, supposedly, the
birds.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>But wait a minute.&nbsp; Haven't some of the be
 st
birds come during inclement weather?&nbsp; Wasn't I being poured on while
contemplating a state early Blackburnian Warbler in&nbsp;WI?&nbsp; Haven't s
 ome
of the northern specialties come during less than ideal winter conditions?&n
 bsp;
Haven't conditions been "cold as sin" while watching unique gulls along the
Great Lakes?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>How about you?&nbsp; What have been some of you
best foul weather (pun semi-intended) birds?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Al Schirmacher</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Princeton, MN</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Mille Lacs &amp; Sherburne Counties</FONT></DIV

<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="mailto:pastoral@princetonfreechurch.net">pastoral@princetonfreechurch.
 net</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=_BA9A770B.C3A3D039--