[mou] MN River Valley Audubon field trips (MRVAC) for April

Anne Hanley anne_hanley90@hotmail.com
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 22:27:34 -0500

Non-members are welcome at any of these field trips and birdwatching
classes.

Evening Bird Walks on 4/6 and 4/13 (walking)
Wednesday, April 6, 2005 6:30 pm Old Cedar Ave
Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 6:30 pm Refuge Visitor Center
George Skinner - 952-936-0811
Walk refuge trails to search for birds and other wildlife as night settles
over the valley. I will have a few extra binoculars to loan if needed. Those
staying until dusk will have a chance to view planets and stars.
Pre-registration not required.

Scott County Wetlands and Lakes (driving)
Saturday, April 9.  Meet at 7:30 to carpool
George Skinner and Anne Hanley  952-926-0811
Meet at the Burnsville Transit Center at 7:30 am for a driving tour of the
lakes and marshes of Scott County as we look for migrating waterfowl.  There
is very little walking involved.  We should be back at the Transit Center
(Hwy 13 and Nicollet Ave) around 3.

Evening Bird Walk April 13, see April 6

Crex Meadows (walking & driving)
Saturday April 16, 6:30 am
Grantsburg Wisconsin
Chris and Randy Hills, 952-892-3489
Explore this great marsh and upland habitat. Crex Meadows is wild, open and
windy, so bring layers, sunglasses and rain gear.  Most stops are outside
town, so we suggest you bring food and drink for the day.  We usually stay
until mid-afternoon, but each carpool can choose its own departure time.
Bring binoculars (and a scope if you have one). Please call for details on
meeting place and to register.

Bluebird Recovery Program Annual Conference
Saturday April 16 in Faribault
Contact Dave Baden 952-445-4353 for information.

Beginning Birding Field Trip (walking)
Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 6:30 pm
Wood Lake Nature Center, Richfield
George Tkach  952-975-2972
This early spring field trip is designed to accompany the Beginning Birding
Course April 2, but everyone is welcome to join us for some evening birding.
Bring binoculars and field guides if you have them.  Directions to Wood
Lake: Exit I35W at 66th St., then 3 blocks east to Lakeshore Drive, turn
right for 2 blocks, then turn right into parking lot.  Meet at the entrance
kiosk. Call George Tkach to reserve a place.

Wildflower Walk   (hilly walking)
Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 6:00 pm
Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden, Minneapolis
Mary Brown, 952-885-0913
Enjoy early spring ephemerals along the hilly, woodchip paths in this
100-year-old garden.  From Hwy 55, turn S on Theodore Wirth Parkway. Signs
for the garden will be on your left.  Park in the lot at the top of the
hill.

Carlos Avery WMA (walking & driving)
Saturday April 23, 7:00 am
George Tkach, 952-975-2972
Meet at Southtown in front of Bennigans to carpool to Carlos Avery Wildlife
Management Area as well as a tour of a nearby DNR wildlife research
facility, including a pack of wolves.  Contact George to register.

Sibley County Birding Day (walking & driving)
Monday, April 25, 2005 6:00 a.m.
Craig Mandel, 952-546-3407
Waterfowl should still be present in good numbers and some of the first
spring migrant songbirds should have arrived.   We'll visit Swan and Silver
Lakes for ducks and possibly Grebes and Loons. The Gibbon and Gaylord Sewage
ponds and the Rush River Wayside, a site that often hosts a pair of
Louisiana Waterthrush are also on the agenda.  For more information or to
register for this trip contact Craig.

Bredesen Park in Edina (walking)
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 6:30 pm
George Skinner & Anne Hanley - 952-936-0811
Hike the paved trails in this lovely wooded and marshy area in Edina.
Pre-registration not required.

Beginning Birdwatching Workshop, Chaska
Chaska Community Center 952-448-5633 (handicapped accessible)
1661 Park Ridge Drive, Chaska, MN (near Hwy 41 & Engler Blvd.)
Register with Chaska Community Center, co-sponsored by the Minnesota Valley
National Wildlife Refuge
Saturday, April 30, 2005, 3:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Learn how you and your family can experience this popular pastime. You will
expand your knowledge of birds and their habitats in this multi-media class.
Experienced volunteers George Skinner and Anne Hanley will introduce your
local Audubon Chapter and the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge.
Participants will be given schedules of free local outings.

Wildflower Walk (followed by optional lunch)
Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
Sunday, May 1, 10:00 am
Mary Brown, 952-885-0913
The wildflower garden is only a few years old but is brimming with
diversity.  Along the paved paths we'll enjoy the wildflowers and migrating
songbirds.  The Arboretum is off Hwy 5 in Chanhassen, just west of Hwy 41.
Watch for the left turn, it's well signed.  Follow the long drive past the
original buildings, parking lots and rose garden fenced in tall trellises.
Park in the Sensory Garden lot on your right.  After the walk, those who are
interested may gather for lunch at the Arboretum.