[mou] several more Aitkin Co Owls

Cindy Butler Risen cbutler@lcp2.net
Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:05:18 -0500

Hi
Just a little addition to the birds Carrol Henderson saw on his way to
Grand Rapids yesterday. I, too attended the Wildlife Tourism meeting with
Michelle and Sharon from Rice Lake NWR. On our way to the meeting we saw 4
Great Gray Owls along CR 5 within a two mile stretch about 1 mile south of
Hwy 232 east of Palisade and another about one half mile north of CR 68 on
Hwy 169. The one near CR 68 was more than likely the same one Carrol saw. I
also saw 2 north of Tamarack on CR 64 (Kestrel Ave.). But the best sighting
for me was in the evening after I got home, I was looking at a Great Gray
Owl in my meadow, while hearing my first hesitant croak of a Chorus Frog.
So Cool. The tourism meeting was very well done and lots of good
information for the participants. I agree that the owls have certainly made
more business people here aware of birders and the dollars spent in the area.

There are many spring migrants showing up here, and two pair of Trumpeter
Swans in the Savanna Portage State Park area. The last few years there has
been at least one pair there all summer, maybe they will nest one of these
years.

Enjoying the spring weather in Aitkin County,
Cindy Risen
Tamarack, MN