[mou] Ivory-billed Woodpecker

MARTELL, Mark MMARTELL@audubon.org
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:47:29 -0400

The most obvious explanation is that in order to protect the habitat, =
and thus the birds, it makes sense to buy, protect, negotiate with =
landowners before an announcement. =20

Mark Martell
Director of Bird Conservation
Audubon Minnesota
2357 Ventura Drive #106
St. Paul, MN 55125
651-739-9332
651-731-1330 (FAX)

-----Original Message-----
From: mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu [mailto:mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu]On
Behalf Of Elijah Parker
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 2:45 PM
To: MOU Net
Subject: [mou] Ivory-billed Woodpecker

Hello all,

Let me know if this is too off-topic for the MN list, but I was =
wondering what=20
other's thoughts are on the release of this info.  What bothers me is =
how=20
secret this was kept -- why?  Why are there well-made videos available =
on the=20
same day of the release?  Why wasn't the info released as it was found?  =
It=20
all feels more political than scientific or birder-like to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited about this -- the IBW has =
intrigued me=20
greatly ever since I was about 8 years old.  What wonderful news!

BTW, I've finally put up a real website!  To see a lot of my bird =
photos, use=20
the access code "MOU".  There are 70 species there now and many more to =
come. =20
Since it's new, let me know if you encounter problems.

Thanks!

Elijah Parker
Saint Paul, MN
http://www.elijahparker.com