[mou] Ivory-billed Woodpecker

SeEtta Moss seetta@msn.com
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 01:14:32 -0600

The American Birding Association president, Steve Runnels, is quoted in part
on the Ivory-billed Woodpecker page of the ABA website as stating, "As
birders, we recognize that the preservation of this species is far more
important than adding it to our life lists."

I think it is incumbant on all birders to keep in mind the ABA Code of
Ethics that states in part, " In any conflict of interest between birds and
birders, the welfare of the birds and their environment comes first."

Many of us support the way in which this search was conducted, with the
necessary secrecy to protect the bird and its habitat, as well as the
restrictions on access to the area.  The bird(s) is more important than a
check on someone's life list.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City, CO

>This was kept secret until the information could be verified and until
The