[mou] Ivory-billed Woodpecker

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:59:31 -0500 (CDT)

This was kept secret until the information could be verified and until The
Nature Conservancy could purchase a lot more land in the area--I'm sure
prices are going up today even as we speak, as the news spreads abroad.

I think they dealt with this issue extremely well.  You're right that it
wasn't a "birding" or even a scientific decision.  It was a conservation
decision, keeping the best interests of the bird, not of hobbyists and
profiteers who sell photos and videos, at center.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Staff Ornithologist
Binoculars.com
www.birderblog.com

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the
winter.

			--Rachel Carson