[mou] BNA in libraries

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:09:06 -0600

The AOU has produced the definitive set of volumes describing the life
histories in detail of all American birds. These volumes are the Birds
of North America, (the BNA). I was thrilled a new Hennepin County
Library was built on Shingle Creek in Brooklyn Center, and I couldn't
wait to get in there and access some of the volumes I travel miles to
read, the BNA is one of them. This library doesn't carry it. Only
Ridgedale and Southdale have it in the Hennepin County System and it
does not circulate so it is not possible to view it at this library.
When the Library was built, it was touted as one of the full access
libraries, the same scale as Ridgedale and Southdale, and when I called
the Collection Management - Special Materials person; I was told that
the demographics are different so the collections are different. I told
them about the Mou Youth Mentorship Program and asked them why it was
not reasonable to find some volume on Natural Histories of MN birds in
this library? They said they would look into it. It is a vital reference
set, if they carry only one set of books, this is it fro a reference on
American Birds. I ask each of you to inquire at your local library and
see if the BNA is available, if it is, check it out, you will be amazed.
If it isn't try and get a copy for that library. The set costs $2500, so
it is a major purchase. Let me know how it works out.

If you live north of 394 on the west metro of the Twin Cities, please
contact:

Collection Management - Special Materials person @ 952-847-8584

Please be positive and heartily suggest they purchase this vital set of
books so we can impart knowledge to the citizens of Hennepin County, yes
event he ones that live north of 394.=20

Mark Alt=20
President,=20
Minnesota Ornithologists Union
J. F. Bell Museum of Natural History