[mou] Great Gray Owls on the move

psvingen@d.umn.edu psvingen@d.umn.edu
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:23:03 -0600

Jim Lind just called (6:00 PM, Monday) to report a significant movement of Great
Grays down the North Shore beginning late this afternoon. No fewer than 12 were in
Two Harbors at 3:30 PM and all have already moved farther down the shore. One that
was banded near Schroeder last week was recently picked up dead near Two Harbors.
The high numbers (two to three dozen or more) found along the state highway 61
expressway during the past few weeks have apparently moved elsewhere too. As Jim
and I spoke on the phone, he was standing at the Two Harbors lighthouse and
watched three birds fly overhead and cross Agate Bay! He also found one perched in
his neighbor's spruce tree this afternoon.
Presumably this movement is related to abundance and accessability of prey
following the ice storm over the weekend, and the 10 inches of new snow along the
North Shore. However, it shows how little we know about this fascinating species.
Results of this coming weekend's owl surveys may be especially interesting in
light of this significant movement tonight and observations posted previously that
fewer great grays were seen in the Sax-Zim area over the past several days.
That's all for now--I am grabbing a flashlight and going outside!
Peder
--
Peder H. Svingen 0 psvingen@d.umn.edu - Duluth, MN