[mou] FW: Owls you are seeing

markfalcon@comcast.net markfalcon@comcast.net
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:32:48 +0000

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_12096_1106656368_0

FYI.  Less Owls than usual in Alberta reported. I guess these had to come from somewhere?

From: Barb Beck <barb@birdnut.obtuse.com>
To: markfalcon@comcast.net
Subject: Owls you are seeing
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:21:51 +0000

Your messsage:

[Owling] State of the state of MN Owl Irruption 1-20-0

was forwarded to our listserver, albertabirds. Just thought I would make a
couple comments.

How about having your volunteers age these things at least first year
birds and older. Actually with a little help they can do much better.
Hawks and Great Grays east to age - the crescents vs chevrons on the
tails of the Hawk owls are a dead give away even for people who do not
look at these birds much and the brown feathers with the light tips
signal birds over a year old. Can often easily be seen with bions.(I
band but am not getting into the hy ahy stuff - by one year old I mean
it in real terms)

There is interesting information to be gained by knowing the age of what
is coming down. If anybody is unsure down there scan the tail or wings
of the dead owls coming in and either of the guys below can age them
instantly.

For better information on ageing these guys contact Gord Court
gord.court@gov.ab.ca or Ray Cromie. rayshirley@telus.net
Poor ray has had a tough year hearing about all the owls your way and
not being able to band down there.

The area around Ft. Vermilllion and High Level at the top of Alberta is
usually a Hawk and GGOW hot spot. As you might guess when a group
recently travelled up their they nothing in the usual owl hot spot.
They had a 2000+ km trip with little to show for it except a bunch of
hawk owls banded much farther south than the prime area. Edmonton area
has more owls than usual. We have a reasonable number of GGOWs in this
area and a Lot of Hawk owls down. Ray has banded I think a couple
hundred of them this year. Had many boreals down for the CBC. While we
usually find one or two each year our owlers found 8 this year. Another
are the number of Pygmy Owls popping up out of their normal range this year.

Cheers
Hope some of our birds manage to find their way back north. .

Barb Beck
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Barb.Beck@ualberta.ca
--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_12096_1106656368_0

<DIV>FYI.&nbsp; Less Owls than usual in Alberta reported. I guess these had to come from somewhere?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">-------------- Forwarded Message: -------------- <BR>From: Barb Beck &lt;barb@birdnut.obtuse.com&gt; <BR>To: markfalcon@comcast.net <BR>Subject: Owls you are seeing <BR>Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:21:51 +0000 <BR><BR><BR>Your messsage: <BR><BR>[Owling] State of the state of MN Owl Irruption 1-20-0 <BR><BR>was forwarded to our listserver, albertabirds. Just thought I would make a <BR>couple comments. <BR><BR><BR>How about having your volunteers age these things at least first year <BR>birds and older. Actually with a little help they can do much better. <BR>Hawks and Great Grays east to age - the crescents vs chevrons on the <BR>tails of the Hawk owls are a dead give away even for people who do not <BR>look at these birds much and the brown feathers with the light tips <BR>signal birds over a year old. Can often easily be seen with bions.(I <BR>band but am not getting into the hy ahy stuff -
 by one year old I mean <BR>it in real terms) <BR><BR>There is interesting information to be gained by knowing the age of what <BR>is coming down. If anybody is unsure down there scan the tail or wings <BR>of the dead owls coming in and either of the guys below can age them <BR>instantly. <BR><BR>For better information on ageing these guys contact Gord Court <BR>gord.court@gov.ab.ca or Ray Cromie. rayshirley@telus.net <BR>Poor ray has had a tough year hearing about all the owls your way and <BR>not being able to band down there. <BR><BR>The area around Ft. Vermilllion and High Level at the top of Alberta is <BR>usually a Hawk and GGOW hot spot. As you might guess when a group <BR>recently travelled up their they nothing in the usual owl hot spot. <BR>They had a 2000+ km trip with little to show for it except a bunch of <BR>hawk owls banded much farther south than the prime area. Edmonton area <BR>has more owls than usual. We have a reasonable number of GGOWs in this <BR>area
 and a Lot of Hawk owls down. Ray has banded I think a couple <BR>hundred of them this year. Had many boreals down for the CBC. While we <BR>usually find one or two each year our owlers found 8 this year. Another <BR>are the number of Pygmy Owls popping up out of their normal range this year. <BR><BR>Cheers <BR>Hope some of our birds manage to find their way back north. . <BR><BR>Barb Beck <BR>Edmonton, Alberta, Canada <BR>Barb.Beck@ualberta.ca </BLOCKQUOTE></body></html>

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_12096_1106656368_0--