[mou] Sax Zim happenings

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:58:15 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C59129.48FB90E0

In the Duluth-News Tribune an article appeared on the front page talking =
about local artists and area birders and managers are going to work with =
local business.  The topic is going to be about economics and bird =
watching. =20

I personally feel as a birder who has been to the bog to many to count =
need to work on two items. 1. These people involve with the Sax Zim =
group need to address and stop the continue logging by the state.  =
Places like Stone Lake Road, Owl Ave, Co. Rd 133 and the corner of =
Correction Line Rd and Owl Ave have been logged out!  It will not be to =
long before the State will log out Admiral Rd and McDavitt Rd.  This =
need to be address first. No habitat =3D no birds =3D no birders!  =
Second this group needs to work or communicate with known residents who =
chased off birders front Co. Rd 7 and other places.  These residents =
need to know how they can profit by adding a donation box in front of =
their houses.  These residents have got to stop being so paranoid and =
learn that birders =3D money!

Of course this winter I doubt we will have a large influx of owls as we =
did last year but birders will continue to visit Sax Zim.

Another thing that the MOU needs to think about is adding some portable =
toilets in the area they leased. Put them in the parking lot and chained =
them to a tree.  I am sure there are services in Eveleth which is only =
20 minutes from here.  Guides know from last year that the only places =
for birders to do there is thing is in Meadowlands and Cotton.  Having a =
more centralize restroom spot would be very much appreciated by birders.

Also is the MOU leased area west of Owl Ave on Overton Rd have the =
parking lot completed?  Are there going to be feeders erected in this =
spot?  I know the General Store in Meadowlands ( featured in the =
Duluth-News Tribune today) will have feeders and souveniours for birders =
this winter.  I heard that the Moose Cafe in Isabella will be adding a =
larger feeding station along Hwy 1 in Lake Co. =20

I still would like to see the MOU try to work with the state and see if =
they can purchase land along McDavitt and Admiral Rd. I would like to =
see if the Sax Zim Group start thinking about working with the state and =
the state land along McDavitt and add a bog board walk on each side of =
McDavitt.  There has to be a board walk from the road to go over the =
ditches in the spring.

Just some thoughts as I read the article today.=20

 Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Minnesota Birding Treks
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C59129.48FB90E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>In the Duluth-News Tribune an =
article=20
appeared on the front page talking about local artists and area birders =
and=20
managers are going to work with local business.&nbsp; The topic is going =
to be=20
about economics and bird watching.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I personally feel as a birder =
who has=20
been to the bog to many to count need to work on two items. 1. These =
people=20
involve with the Sax Zim group need to address and stop the continue =
logging by=20
the state.&nbsp; Places like Stone Lake Road, Owl Ave, Co. Rd 133 and =
the corner=20
of Correction Line Rd and Owl Ave have been logged out!&nbsp; It will =
not be to=20
long before the State will log out Admiral Rd and McDavitt Rd.&nbsp; =
This need=20
to be address first. No habitat =3D no birds =3D no birders!&nbsp; =
Second this group=20
needs to work or communicate with known residents who chased off birders =
front=20
Co. Rd 7 and other places.&nbsp; These residents need to know how they =
can=20
profit by adding a donation box in front of their houses.&nbsp; These =
residents=20
have got to stop being so paranoid and learn that birders =3D =
money!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Of course this winter I doubt =
we will=20
have a large influx of owls as we did last year but birders will =
continue to=20
visit Sax Zim.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Another thing that the MOU =
needs to think=20
about is adding some portable toilets in the area they leased. Put them =
in the=20
parking lot and chained them to a tree.&nbsp; I am sure there are =
services in=20
Eveleth which is only 20 minutes from here.&nbsp; Guides know from last =
year=20
that the only places for birders to do there is thing is in Meadowlands =
and=20
Cotton.&nbsp; Having a more centralize restroom spot would be very much=20
appreciated by birders.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Also is the MOU leased area =
west of Owl=20
Ave on Overton Rd have the parking lot completed?&nbsp; Are there going =
to be=20
feeders erected in this spot?&nbsp; I know the General Store in =
Meadowlands (=20
featured in the Duluth-News Tribune today) will have feeders and =
souveniours for=20
birders this winter.&nbsp; I heard that the Moose Cafe in Isabella will =
be=20
adding a larger feeding station along Hwy 1 in Lake Co.&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I still would like to see the =
MOU try to=20
work with the state and see if they can purchase land along McDavitt and =
Admiral=20
Rd. I would like to see if the Sax Zim Group start thinking about=20
working&nbsp;with the state and the state land along McDavitt and add a=20
bog&nbsp;board walk on&nbsp;each side of McDavitt.&nbsp; There has to be =
a board=20
walk from the road to go over the ditches in the spring.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Just some thoughts as I read =
the article=20
today.</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;<FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR>Minnesota Birding Treks<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C59129.48FB90E0--