[mou] Lansing Loop Trip Tomorrow at LaCrosse: Yes

fred lesher corax6330@yahoo.com
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:47:02 -0800 (PST)

I drove to Goose Island & Stoddard Bay this afternoon
during the snowfall. LaCrosse has gotten about 12
inches of snow today. Maybe a couple more by morning.
Hwy 35 is snowy but not icy. Hwy speeds were about
45-50 mph. Goose Island is accessible. Some boat
landing roads, not used much these days, were
unploughed and present problems to vehicles with no
tread tires and no all wheel drive or four wheel
drive. We can avoid these, and Lawrence Ridge Rd.
which will be snowy & icy, as it is shaded.

At Stoddard Bay were several thousand Canvasbacks
packed into the dense feeding behavior they so often
do, diving & swimming in a dense flock seemingly
swimming side by side opposite directions in a long
string. Two American Coots. Nine Great Blue Herons
standing on the ice.

In LaCrosse at the USBANK downtown at 5:45 PM was one
Peregrine Falcon perched in an unusual site between
the aerials attached to the SE side of the bank. About
to roost?   Check it out early AM tomorrow.

I will be at the entrance to Goose Island before 7AM
tomorrow.

Fred Lesher
Trip leader for Coulee Region Audubon Society