[mnbird] Re: [mou] Why two lists?

Sharon Stiteler sharonks@mn.rr.com
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 07:28:46 -0600

--B_3194494128_65537020

I didn=B9t see anything =B3snotty=B2 about Steve=B9s reply and I=B9m now worried that
this is going to start some fighting on the lists.  I=B9ve been on both lists
for several years and I think the two lists have been a way to maintain
peace, as well as have a list for people just interested in Minnesota birds
and then another list with a little of everything birdy.  I don=B9t see
anything wrong with having a listserv with a more pointed focus.  I lurk on
one listserv that is in depth identification along the lines of discussing
the scapulars of third year hybrid gulls.  You would not post on that list
what to do about grackles taking over your feeder or even unusual birds tha=
you saw in Houston, Co. Minnesota.  That=B9s doesn=B9t make the listserv snotty=
,
but it makes it a very focused conversation.

Yes, sometimes it seems odd to get so much double posting but in the grand
scheme of things, how hard is it to click on a delete button?  Also, some
states have three or four listservs, monitoring two in the state doesn=B9t
seem so bad to me either.

--=20
Sharon Stiteler
Minneapolis, MN
www.birdchick.com

on 3/24/05 2:29 AM, Chuck Cole at cncole@earthlink.net wrote:

> That snotty "go elsewhere welcome" needs to be posted explicitly on the M=
OU
> list web site if it's the policy of the MOU list.  That is not what the l=
ist
> intro actually requires or directs at present.  Frogs would be off-topic =
on
> each of these two bird lists.  Monitors doing some forwarding is repugnan=
t,
> IMHO.  Some would say that violates some copyright regulations concerning
> author's rights as well.
> =20
> Chuck
> =20
>> =20
These
>> natural observations would  not be welcomed and would be off topic for
>> MOU-net.  While some listers  are put off by the attempts of the MOU-net=
>> keep the focus narrow and on  topic, that is the mission of the list ser=
ve.
>> New birders  should join MN-bird, which welcomes inexperienced observati=
ons
>> and questions.  The posts of those birders who choose to join only  MOU-=
net,
>> will be fowarded to MN-bird by monitors who watch for such posts  of
>> interest.
>> =20
>> =20
>> =20
>> Steve Weston on Quigley Lake in Eagan
>> sweston2@comcast.net
>> =20
>>> =20

--B_3194494128_65537020

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [mnbird] Re: [mou] Why two lists?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><BR>
I didn&#8217;t see anything &#8220;snotty&#8221; about Steve&#8217;s reply =
and I&#8217;m now worried that this is going to start some fighting on the l=
ists. &nbsp;I&#8217;ve been on both lists for several years and I think the =
two lists have been a way to maintain peace, as well as have a list for peop=
le just interested in Minnesota birds and then another list with a little of=
 everything birdy. &nbsp;I don&#8217;t see anything wrong with having a list=
serv with a more pointed focus. &nbsp;I lurk on one listserv that is in dept=
h identification along the lines of discussing the scapulars of third year h=
ybrid gulls. &nbsp;You would not post on that list what to do about grackles=
 taking over your feeder or even unusual birds that you saw in Houston, Co. =
Minnesota. &nbsp;That&#8217;s doesn&#8217;t make the listserv snotty, but it=
 makes it a very focused conversation. &nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Yes, sometimes it seems odd to get so much double posting but in the grand =
scheme of things, how hard is it to click on a delete button? &nbsp;Also, so=
me states have three or four listservs, monitoring two in the state doesn&#8=
217;t seem so bad to me either.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
-- <BR>
Sharon Stiteler<BR>
Minneapolis, MN<BR>
www.birdchick.com<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
on 3/24/05 2:29 AM, Chuck Cole at cncole@earthlink.net wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000=
FF"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">That snotty &quot;go elsewhere welcome&quot; needs to=
 be posted explicitly on the MOU list web site if it's the policy of the MOU=
 list. &nbsp;That is not what the list intro actually requires or directs at=
 present. &nbsp;Frogs would be off-topic on each of these two bird lists. &n=
bsp;Monitors doing some forwarding is repugnant, IMHO. &nbsp;Some would say =
that violates some copyright regulations concerning author's rights as well.=
<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Chuck<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"> <BR>
</FONT></SPAN><BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FONT FACE=3D"Verdan=
a, Helvetica, Arial"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Tahoma">-----Original Message-----<BR>
<B>From:</B> &nbsp;mnbird-admin@lists.mnbird.net [<a href=3D"mailto:mnbird-ad=
min@lists.mnbird.net]">mailto:mnbird-admin@lists.mnbird.net]</a><B>On &nbsp;=
Behalf Of </B>Steve Weston<BR>
<B>Sent:</B> Thursday, March 24, 2005 1:57 &nbsp;AM<BR>
<B>To:</B> cncole@earthlink.net; MNbird<BR>
<B>Subject:</B> [mnbird] Re: &nbsp;[mou] Why two lists?<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"> <BR>
Mou-net is for postings that would be of interest for serious &nbsp;birder.=
 &nbsp;I post to MOU-Net sightings of unusual birds, &nbsp;the &nbsp;newslet=
ter and meetings of MRVAC (Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter), and &nbs=
p;very little else. &nbsp;I post to MNbird any Mou-net post plus posts that =
&nbsp;might be of interest to the wider community of birders. &nbsp;For exam=
ple I &nbsp;might post to MNbird the results of a frog survey and how to rec=
ognize the &nbsp;calls of the frogs found. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;These natural o=
bservations would &nbsp;not be welcomed and would be off topic for MOU-net. =
&nbsp;While some listers &nbsp;are put off by the attempts of the MOU-net to=
 keep the focus narrow and on &nbsp;topic, that is the mission of the list s=
erve. &nbsp;New birders &nbsp;should join MN-bird, which welcomes inexperien=
ced observations &nbsp;and questions. &nbsp;The posts of those birders who c=
hoose to join only &nbsp;MOU-net, will be fowarded to MN-bird by monitors wh=
o watch for such posts &nbsp;of interest.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Steve Weston on Quigley Lake in Eagan <BR>
sweston2@comcast.net &nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT></SPAN><BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FONT FACE=3D"Verdan=
a, Helvetica, Arial"> <BR>
----- Original Message ----- <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<B>From:</B> &nbsp;Chuck &nbsp;Cole <a href=3D"mailto:cncole@earthlink.net">&=
lt;mailto:cncole@earthlink.net&gt;</a> &nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<B>To:</B> MNbird <a href=3D"mailto:mnbird@lists.mnbird.net">&lt;mailto:mnbir=
d@lists.mnbird.net&gt;</a> &nbsp;; MOU <a href=3D"mailto:mou-net@cbs.umn.edu">=
&lt;mailto:mou-net@cbs.umn.edu&gt;</a> &nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, March 23, 2005 12:43 &nbsp;AM<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<B>Subject:</B> [mou] Why two lists?<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Seems really silly to &nbsp;have two lists and mo=
st folks making double posts. &nbsp;Since the double &nbsp;posting seems so =
regular, the old political split or whatever must be quite &nbsp;stale by no=
w. &nbsp;Is there any good reason to continue double &nbsp;postings? &nbsp;W=
hy not rig one list to be an active standby in case the &nbsp;other one fail=
s? &nbsp;... or make sure every message gets copied so we only &nbsp;need to=
 see them once.<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"> <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Chuck &nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"> <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FON=
T FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><BR>
</FONT></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FONT FACE=3D"Verda=
na, Helvetica, Arial"><BR>
</FONT></SPAN>
</BODY>
</HTML>