[mou] Marshbird Survey at Rice Lake National Wildlife Refuge

Warren Nelson wenelson@mlecmn.net
Thu, 05 May 2005 18:41:00 -0500

Last night, Wednesday, May 4, Michelle McDowell and I conducted a
marshbird survey along the north bog route at the Rice Lake National
Wildlife Refuge.  The night started out great with a black bear walking
through the marsh grasses and then swimming over the river, stopping on
the other side for a good long look.  The survey turned up 7 YELLOW
RAILS, 3 VIRGINIA RAILS, 3 SORAS, 9 AMERICAN BITTERNS, SEDGE WRENS, 2
BARRED OWLS, 2 beaver, very good numbers of drumming RUFFED GROUSE and
SNIPE everywhere.  It was a perfect night for stargazing too.  Wonderful
night at a wonderful place!!!
   Will also add that today I had HARRIS' SPARROWS, WHITE-CROWNED
SPARROWS and WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS at my feeders.     Warren Nelson