[mou] Clay Co. Louisiana Waterthrush refound

Benjamin Fritchman fieldfare21@hotmail.com
Wed, 11 May 2005 17:00:18 -0500

I was looking for an excuse to take a break from studying for finals...and
the Louisiana Waterthrush was the perfect excuse. I arrived this afternoon
to the Waterthrush spot, but I couldn't see any birds from the road. I drove
around a little while and came back. Again I scanned the water edges for any
waterthrushes, nothing. I gave up and was driving off when I heard a
Waterthrush chip come from about 30 feet south of where I was looking from
the road. I followed the chip into the woods and found I had a better view
of the water from inside the woods there. I followed the chip and finally
saw a Waterthrush....although it was a Northern. A few seconds later a
Solitary Sandpiper across the water caught my eye, and as I looked at it, I
noticed a smaller bird foraging near it. I looked at it and realized it was
the Louisiana Waterthrush! It was drastically different than the Northern
foraging to the right of me. It was really neat looking at all the
differences Bob O'Connor noted. I even heard it chip once when the Solitary
got too close to it, I agree with Bob that it was not as hard as a
Northern's.
Anyway, it was a great day, although really windy. Where the Waterthrush
was, there was no wind, so as long as it's this windy, I think the
Waterthrush might stay put.
I believe this is a first county record.

Ben Fritchman
Fargo for the next 2 days, then back to Long Prairie.