[mou] chilly migrants in Cook Co.

Jim & Carol Tveekrem jotcat@boreal.org
Fri, 13 May 2005 18:32:43 -0500

On the ground below our seed feeders and poking around with the sparrows - a
male Cape May Warbler.  Only warbler we have seen other than Yellow-rumps.
Tree Swallows turned up last week, are residing in our otherwise empty
Martin house.  Temperature 38 at 2 p.m.  At least it is above zero.  Stiff
east wind off the Big Lake yesterday kept migration stalled.

White-throated and White-crowned Sparrows have been moving through all week,
and up to a hundred Chipping Sparrows around the place at times.  Today two
Clay-colored Sparrows joined the "hopping brown" gang.  At least one pair of
Pine Siskins is nesting and singing near here, haven't found the nest yet.
Up to six at the thistle feeder every day.

Carol Tveekrem