[mou] Swainson's Hawk, Upland Sandpiper, Eurasian Collared, etc Western Counties

Heidi Ferguson Heidi.Ferguson@mci.com
Tue, 31 May 2005 10:42:00 -0500

 Hello All,

	I was doing some survey's over the weekend.  I was in Wilkin,
Traverse, Grant, Stevens, Swift and Big Stone counties.  Here are some of
the better birds I saw.

Western Prairie SNA- Wilkin Cty - UPLAND SANDPIPER (calling), MARBLED
GODWITS - a least six-,  winnowing common snipe, Wilson's Phalarope.  A
small group of shorebirds flew up as I arrived.  I thought they might be
Dowitchers but don't hold me to it. (A local farmer stopped to chat.  He
told me that they called Marbled Godwits - standpoles.  That seems like a
good name for the Upland sandpiper.  Everything else they called a Curlew).

Bobolinks were everywhere.  I love to hear them sing.

SWAINSON'S HAWK - Traverse Cty Interstate 75 at Traverse cty road 98.  It
was sitting in a tree just a little north of the junction.  I gave me a nice
look and flew across the street when it had had enough.

38 DUNLIN in bright breeding plumage.  Small wetland Big Stone Cty 28 near
mile marker 17.

EASTERN TOWHEE at the Marth SNA.  I thought this seemed a strange place to
see a Towhee.   Just north of Donnelly on Steven's Cty 9

EURASIAN COLLARD DOVES in Benson, Swift Cty -  When I pulled off the road to
confer with my map two were just pecking at the ground by the car.  I
happened to be next to a small town park near the grain elevators.  Just
west of the spot where Interstate 12 turns south.

On my frog survey it seemed I woke up every Sedge Wren in the county.  I
also came across a few other birds.  At Swift Cty 20 where the road crosses
the Pomme de Terre river I hit a gold mine.  I was concentrating so hard on
frogs it was a few seconds before I realized a Woodcock was performing his
dance right in front of me.  I also heard SORA, NIGHTHAWKS and I believe I
was also hearing a YELLOW RAIL .  I wish I had had the time to really
investigate further.

On the way home I stopped at Glacial Lakes State Park.  The park was full of
flycatchers.  On the hiking trail I counted 7 OLIVE SIDED.  Also seen,
least, phoebe, eastern peewee, Eastern Kingbird, many Great Crested. Veerys
were signing in the campground and one late Chestnut sided warbler.

That's all folks.

Heidi Ferguson
St. Paul

This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using Skeptic™ technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http://www.mci.com.