[mou] Coon Rapids Juv. Coopers

Sandy Kuder fivekuders@yahoo.com
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 10:47:34 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1788974269-1154627254=:8412

Wednesday about noon, while walking the Sand Creek Trail, I heard some loud cries coming from a area of mature oaks opposite the trail on the other side of Sand Creek.
  Finally I saw a hawk with a bird in it's talons, on a horizontal limb.  I could hear another hawk calling/screaming/crying in the same vicinity.  Caught glimpses of them cruising through the woods in PAIRS!  One flew to a slender branch alongside the creek approximately 20-25 feet away at eye level.  AMAZING!   We checked each other out for 2,3 minutes.   I think they are Juvenile Cooper's Hawks.  Beautiful brown on the head and back.  White, white breast with  strong brown streaking.  Looked absolutely huge through my bins.

  I spent about an hour there listening and catching glimpses of them through the trees.

  When i got home, I listened to Peterson's Eastern Bird Songs, and these hawks sounded just like the Northern Goshawks.  ???????????

  The Sand Creek Trail segment was located:  just west of Olive Street. and 121st.  The closest cul-de-sac being 120th Avenue NW, off Sycamore.

  Sandy Kuder
  Coon Rapids