[mou] Western Kingbird and more

Steve Weston sweston2@comcast.net
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 00:02:06 -0500

Found an immature Western KIngbird today in Minnetrista in Hennepin County
at the corner of Hwy 7 and   Oak Rd.

Yard birds on Quiggley Lake this weekend included:  Belted Kingfisher,
Solitary Sandpiper, and Pileated Woodpecker.   One or more of the Barred
Owls was whinning like an overgrown Screech Owl last night.   We had a group
of 12 female and immature Wood Ducks.  If this was the hen and family that
hatched out of one of my boxes, it appears that the whole brood fledged,
which is an unusual success for our lake.  We also had a Mallard with 8 that
appeared to be only a week old.

I spent a week at Scout Camp in Wisconsin recently, stopping at Crex Meadows
on the way home.  Perhaps the best bird of the week was a Raven at Crex
Meadows.  I know I haven't seen them there before.   The best bird
experience for the kids was probably the three Pileateds that visited our
campsite.  The calling loons and the half grown chick just off shore were
with us the whole week and became common background.   Heard birds included
the ethereal Wood Thrushes and a passing Sand Hill Crane.   The best bird
experience for me was when an immature Eastern Kingbird begged by opening a
bright red mouth.   At night the loons were backed by a chorus of the
plunking banjos of the Green Frogs join by an occasional Bull Frog.

Steve Weston