[mou] Bohemian Waxwings - Itasca

shawn conrad dingermcduff@hotmail.com
Sun, 03 Dec 2006 11:10:21 -0600

Yesterday afternoon I saw a small flock of Bohemian Waxwings in a crabapple
tree in Coleraine near the CR 10 detour.

This morning I found a larger flock of Bohemian Waxwings--maybe 100--by the
Spur station in Bovey and a flock of maybe 40 flew over CR 434 near Trout
Lake.

So far the finches have been slow in my part of Itasca County.  I hiked
through about a mile and a half of spruce bog this morning without seeing
ANY finches.  There are some Pine Grosbeaks and Pine Siskins around,
redpolls in much smaller numbers than the last couple of winters, I've only
heard one report of Evening Grosbeaks in the area, and I have yet to see
either crossbill species around here this winter.  Maybe this cold weather
will move them down.

Otherwise, Gray Jays have been abundant and nearly every clump of large
tamarack shows signs of recent Black-backed/Three-toed Woodpecker
foraging--there were 2 Black-backeds found in November.  I haven't seen any
owls yet this winter, but a Snowy Owl was reported somewhere near Bowstring
Lake last week.

Shawn Conrad
Bovey

Get free, personalized commercial-free online radio with MSN Radio powered
by Pandora http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001