[mou] MSP Snowy on Sunday

John Kaplan jck@wans.net
Sun, 08 Jan 2006 11:36:59 -0600

While approaching Cargo road a little after 10, a male American kestrel
was sitting on the airport perimeter fence next to the Longfellow Road
about a quarter mile south of Cargo road.  It was between a building and
a stand of trees.

I heard an accelerating car passing us as we were stopped on the edge of
Longfellow.  It was the police.  Apparently they slowed to investigate,
then left after seeing the bird and binoculars.

A snowy owl that looked like Sibley's model for his 1st year female was
sitting on the southeast corner of the taller, main portion of FedEX
building.  After watching for 10 or so minutes, a couple of crows flew
into the area.  The owl flew a small circle over the parking lot then
west, disappearing over the building.  The crows took over owl's corner.

Back out on Longfellow, a red tailed hawk was sitting on top of a
parking lot light post north of 66th between two garages on the edge of
the airport.  The hawk was quite dark on the back and had very little
marking on it's light breast.  When it flew from one light post to
another, the red tail was obvious.