[mou] ID question - YB Cuckoo

shawn conrad dingermcduff@hotmail.com
Fri, 07 Jul 2006 18:02:29 -0500

I was at St. Croix State Park this week at St. John's Landing and heard what
I think may have been a Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  I heard it several times
during the morning but was not able to get a look.  It sounded similar to
the YB Cuckoo on the Stokes CD, but didn't sound quite so "guttural" to me
and seemed a bit slower.  Is there any bird (Common Raven???) or frog that I
might mistake for a YB Cuckoo that would be present at St. Croix or can I
safely assume that this is what I heard?  Thanks!

By the way, while I was there I found a pair of Scarlet Tanagers on the
Crooked Creek Trail and another birder pointed out a Blue-headed Vireo to me
at the dining hall near St. John's Landing.

Shawn Conrad
Bovey