[mou] New Germany shorebirds

voguedog@earthlink.net voguedog@earthlink.net
Sat, 22 Jul 2006 13:43:49 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C6AD94.DCE7ED70

Hi,

A few weeks ago, I checked out the area by New Germany, on the advice of =
Phyllis B , as I was looking to spy a red-headed WP (which I did see - =
thanks Phyllis!!!).  I also found several areas that are known to have =
good shore bird action, and have visited there weekly.

I went out to check out the pools this a.m., as I need  to practice my =
shore bird ID skills (before I go to Ortonville for the shorebird class =
in a couple of weeks).  There are 3 pools that are drying up nicely =
along Yates, Yancy and Co Rd #30.  The one on Yates had  200 + birds, =
and gave me a lot to work on :-)  The other 2 pools (along 30, between =
Yates and Yancy) had fewer birds, but you can get closer for better =
looks . Many, many Least Sandpipers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, and =
Pectoral Sandpipers.  Also saw a few Solitary and Spotted Sandpipers. I =
puzzled over 3 birds that were larger and lighter than the Least SP, =
with a more distinct eyeline, and less color on the upper breast.... I'm =
just not shorebird-savvy enough to be certain what they were - perhaps =
Semipalmated or Baird's???  Noticeably larger than Least, with dark =
legs.  I certainly could have missed other species, too - some were just =
too far to get a good look.=20

Yellow-billed cuckoos were calling from across the road in the willows, =
and a Sora stepped out from the reeds to give me a look- a very =
enjoyable morning!

Robin LaFortune
Delano,  MN
------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C6AD94.DCE7ED70

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A few weeks ago, I checked out the area =
by New=20
Germany, on the advice of Phyllis B , as I was looking to spy a =
red-headed WP=20
(which I did see - thanks Phyllis!!!).&nbsp; I also&nbsp;found several =
areas=20
that are known to&nbsp;have good&nbsp;shore bird action, and have =
visited there=20
weekly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I went out to check out the pools this =
a.m., as I=20
need&nbsp; to practice my shore bird ID skills (before I go to =
Ortonville for=20
the shorebird class in a couple of weeks).&nbsp; There are 3 pools that =
are=20
drying up nicely along Yates, Yancy and Co Rd #30.&nbsp; The one on =
Yates had=20
&nbsp;200 + birds, and gave me a lot to work on :-)&nbsp; The other =
2&nbsp;pools=20
(along 30, between Yates and Yancy)&nbsp;had fewer birds, but you can =
get closer=20
for better looks&nbsp;. Many, many Least Sandpipers, Greater and Lesser=20
Yellowlegs, and Pectoral Sandpipers.&nbsp; Also saw a few Solitary and =
Spotted=20
Sandpipers. I puzzled over 3 birds that were larger and lighter than the =
Least=20
SP, with a more distinct eyeline, and less color on the upper breast.... =
I'm=20
just not shorebird-savvy enough to be certain what they were - perhaps=20
Semipalmated or Baird's???&nbsp; Noticeably larger than Least, with dark =

legs.&nbsp; I certainly could have missed other species, too - some were =
just=20
too far to get a good look. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yellow-billed cuckoos were calling from =
across the=20
road in the willows, and a Sora stepped out from the reeds to give me a =
look- a=20
very enjoyable morning!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Robin LaFortune</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Delano,&nbsp; =
MN</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C6AD94.DCE7ED70--