Borderland grosbeaks and eagle observations Re: [mou] Miss. River Sightings

Tom Crumpton reforest@wiktel.com
Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:11:37 -0600

--------------040902010706060501010200

In good habitat (Rainy River) there can be 1 active eagle nest per river
mile.  In talking with a wildlife biologist last summer he said they can
be closer than 1 mile in very good habitat (certain parts of Rainy
Lake).  I did pick up sticks under one nest (it is over a trail at a
historical site, cleaning trail) this winter so nest building is an on
going thing right through most of the winter, some places.  Many eagles
nests are visible from state highway 11 between Loman and Border ( a 32
mile stretch)  7 visible from vehicle and at least  3 additional ones
from water.  One newer one (last 5 years) is about 120 yards I would
guess from a house and 60 yards from a state highway.
Feeder report  Canadian border No. Koochiching County
    50-60 evening grosbeaks and about 10 pine grosbeaks
    lots of pine siskins and about a half dozen nuthatches.
A friends feeder about 30 miles west has lots of red poles for some
reason they skipped here pretty much this year??
Tom Crumpton

Matt Baumann wrote:

> In the drive down HWY 61, between Winona, MN and La Crosse, WI, one
> can easily see no less than 4 bald eagle nests from the road. There is
> also another nest in Trempeleua NWR visible from the "Wildlife Drive".
> Throughout the winter, along the same Winona - LaCrosse drive, one
> could reliably see bald eagles perched in the trees along the
> Mississippi River shoreline.
>
> Matt Baumann
> Winona, MN
>
>> From: "Dennis Donath" <ddonath@centurytel.net>
>> To: "MOU net" <mou-net@cbs.umn.edu>
>> Subject: [mou] Miss. River Sightings
>> Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 09:27:05 -0600
>>
>> Several of us who live on the bluff overlooking the Mississippi River
>> from the WI side have been observing an eagle nest. The nest is on
>> the Minnesota side about 75 yards south of the river bank at mile
>> 807, on the Goodhue/Dakota County border, about three miles downriver
>> from Prescott, WI. Two adults have been working on or sitting next to
>> the nest at various times during the last three weeks. On Feb. 28th,
>> one of the birds spent most of the day in the nest. The other eagle
>> visited periodically and may have brought some food at least once.
>> The location has been reported to the MN DNR. We will do whatever we
>> can to keep ATV's out of the immedite area.
>>
>> Dennis Donath
>> Prescott, WI

--------------040902010706060501010200

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
In good habitat (Rainy River) there can be 1 active eagle nest per
river mile.&nbsp; In talking with a wildlife biologist last summer he said
they can be closer than 1 mile in very good habitat (certain parts of
Rainy Lake).&nbsp; I did pick up sticks under one nest (it is over a trail
at a historical site, cleaning trail) this winter so nest building is
an on going thing right through most of the winter, some places.&nbsp; Many
eagles nests are visible from state highway 11 between Loman and Border
( a 32 mile stretch)&nbsp; 7 visible from vehicle and at least&nbsp; 3 additional
ones from water.&nbsp; One newer one (last 5 years) is about 120 yards I
would guess from a house and 60 yards from a state highway.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 50-60 evening grosbeaks and about 10 pine grosbeaks<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; lots of pine siskins and about a half dozen nuthatches.<br>
A friends feeder about 30 miles west has lots of red poles for some
reason they skipped here pretty much this year??<br>
Tom Crumpton<br>
 type="cite">In the drive down HWY 61, between Winona, MN and La
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:ddonath@centurytel.net">&lt;ddonath@centurytel.net&gt;</a>