[mou] Great-tailed Grackle, Brown County

Brian Smith brsmith@sleepyeyetel.net
Wed, 3 May 2006 21:11:12 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_012F_01C66EF6.1B74AFC0

Hi,

Late this afternoon I stopped by the local hardware store in Sleepy Eye =
to get a few things.  The store is on highway 14, on the eastern edge of =
town and has a small holding pond right next to it.  Most of the year =
this pond is dry, but with the recent rains it has a good deal of water =
in it and even has a few cattails growing in it.  As I left the store =
and was walking back to my car I glanced over towards the holding pond =
and lo and behold there was a very large (and large tailed) grackle =
foraging on the shore of the pond.  It looked gigantic compared to the =
other grackles that were foraging nearby. After a few seconds of =
disbelief  I came to realize that it was a Great-tailed Grackle.  The =
GTG leisurely foraged and preened and I was able to watch it very =
closely from my car.  It didn't vocalize much, but it did give a few =
clucks and whistles.  After about 15 minutes it took off and flew over =
Hwy. 14 to the east and kept on going.  I'll check back there tomorrow =
but I suspect that it's moved on.

Good birding,

Brian Smith
Sleepy Eye

------=_NextPart_000_012F_01C66EF6.1B74AFC0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Late this afternoon I stopped by the local hardware =
store in=20
Sleepy Eye to get a few things.&nbsp; The store is on highway 14, on the =
eastern=20
edge of town and has a small holding pond&nbsp;right next to it.&nbsp; =
Most of=20
the year this pond is dry, but with the recent rains it has a good deal =
of water=20
in it and even has a few cattails growing in it.&nbsp; As I left the =
store and=20
was walking back to my car I glanced over towards the holding pond and =
lo and=20
behold there was a very large (and large tailed) grackle foraging on the =
shore=20
of the pond.&nbsp; It looked gigantic compared to the other grackles =
that were=20
foraging&nbsp;nearby. After a few seconds of disbelief &nbsp;I came=20
to&nbsp;realize that it was a Great-tailed Grackle.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT=20
size=3D2>The&nbsp;GTG leisurely foraged and preened and I was able to =
watch it=20
very closely from my car.&nbsp; It didn't vocalize much, but it did give =
a few=20
clucks and whistles.&nbsp; After about 15 minutes it took&nbsp;off and=20
flew&nbsp;over Hwy. 14&nbsp;to the east and kept on =
going.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'll check=20
back there tomorrow but I suspect that it's moved on.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Good birding,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Brian Smith</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Sleepy Eye</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_012F_01C66EF6.1B74AFC0--