[mou] YCNH

Thomas Maiello thomas@angelem.com
Fri, 05 May 2006 17:55:08 -0500

I was asked to give better directions to the Yellow Crowned Night Heron
I observed near the intersection of University and 85th Avenue NE.  This
is in Fridley.  The pond is immediately east of the northeast corner of
the Springbrook Nature Center.  Approach the intersection of University
Avenue and turn west on 85th Avenue NE.  Go to the first traffic light
after you turn and turn south (left) and enter the Walmart parking lot.
Park immediately on the right (there are about 6-8 parking spots that
face a wooded area that borders the pond of interest).  Hike through the
woods and to the left in the grassy area between the Springbrook
Apartments parking area on your left and the pond on your right.  I saw
the YCNH out on the finger island (peninsula?) on a branch over hanging
the water on the far side of the island.  Look for a dark blob
silhouetted by the water.

Good luck and I hope it is there posing for you as it did me.  I
disturbed the Canadian Geese and the YCNH looked over it's shoulder to
check out the disturbance.

This pond has held many surprises over the last month or so including
Pied-Billed Grebes, Hooded Mergansers, and Great Egrets.  I always slow
down as I pass it to see if anything else might be visiting.

Thomas Maiello
Spring Lake Park