[mou] White-faced Ibis

Dennis/Barbara Martin dbmartin@skypoint.com
Sat, 6 May 2006 23:12:15 -0500

Refound the White-faced Ibis that Curt Vacek found in Swift County on
Friday.  This is a spectacular breeding plumaged bird with the reddest skin
before the eye that we think we have ever seen.  Interesting was the Willet
seen in the same marsh with the ibis.  Wonder if both are migrants or
possible breeders.  This WMA is mostly remote with a lot of wet marshy areas
that would suit both species.

Big Stone County has a lot of water with most marshes full or overflowing.
Only one Avocet was seen, along Cty 54 about one mile west of Cty 61.  At
the same location were a breeding plumaged pair of Red-necked Phalaropes.
Most other species of shorebirds were seen in flooded farm fields scattered
everywhere with no large concentrations.  A Upland Sandpiper along Hwy 12
just west 0f Pennock (post on south side of road just west of mile marker
65) in Kandiyohi County seemed out of place.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
dbmartin@skypoint.com

> Adult White-faced Ibis (90% sure) at Danvers WMA 3 miles west of Benson on
CR 20.  South side of road right were 20 curves north.  Sharing wetland in
the middle of burned grassland with several ducks (green wings, blue wings,
pintail, mallard... and misc shorebirds).  With the black from the burn
there's lots of heat waves to glass through at mid-day.  If anyone confirms
this Ibis siting, please notify.  Thanks.