[mou] Nesting! Great-tailed Grackles, Brown Co.

Brian Smith brsmith@sleepyeyetel.net
Sat, 6 May 2006 13:02:25 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0092_01C6710D.525B5A70

Hi,=20

While birding at Rosenau-Lambrecht WMA this morning I found at least =
three (two males and one female) Great-tailed Grackles.  One of the =
males was actively courting the female and was also doing territorial =
display on top of some cattails.  The female was busy flying back and =
forth with vegetation to make a nest near the edge of the marsh.  While =
I only found three GTG's, I wouldn't be surprised if there's more =
around.

As you may recall, Rosenau-Lambrecht WMA is the place where Common =
Moorhens nested two years ago.  It is about 3 miles west of New Ulm on =
Hwy. 14.  In fact, Hwy. 14 divides the WMA and the Grackles are on the =
south side of the highway, but more to the western end of the marsh.  If =
anyone is interested in checking them out, the best way that I can give =
directions of where the GTG's are nesting is to suggest that you park on =
the shoulder of the west bound lane.  On your left (south) you'll see a =
cell phone tower that's maybe a quarter mile away.  Make an imaginary =
line from the highway straight south towards the tower and you're close =
to the area where the nest is being made. Or forget everything I just =
wrote and simply look for the male GTG perched on top of the cattails.  =
He seemed to be in one spot a good deal of the time that I was there. =
It's pretty close to where the female is making the nest.   =20

Brian Smith
Sleepy Eye
------=_NextPart_000_0092_01C6710D.525B5A70

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>While birding at Rosenau-Lambrecht WMA this morning =
I found at=20
least three (two males and one female) Great-tailed Grackles.&nbsp; One =
of the=20
males was actively courting the female and was also doing territorial =
display on=20
top of some cattails.&nbsp; The female was busy flying back and forth =
with=20
vegetation to make a nest near the edge of the marsh.&nbsp; While I only =
found=20
three GTG's, I wouldn't be surprised if there's more =
around.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As you may recall, Rosenau-Lambrecht WMA is the =
place where=20
Common Moorhens nested two years ago.&nbsp; It is about 3 miles west of =
New Ulm=20
on Hwy. 14.&nbsp; In fact, Hwy. 14 divides the WMA and the Grackles are =
on the=20
south&nbsp;side of the highway, but more to the western end of the =
marsh.&nbsp;=20
If anyone is interested in checking them out, the best way that I can=20
give&nbsp;directions of&nbsp;where the GTG's are nesting is to suggest =
that you=20
park on the shoulder of the west bound lane.&nbsp; On your left (south) =
you'll=20
see a cell phone tower that's maybe a quarter mile away.&nbsp;&nbsp;Make =
an=20
imaginary line from the&nbsp;highway straight south towards the tower =
and you're=20
close to the area where the nest is being made. Or forget everything I =
just=20
wrote and simply look for&nbsp;the male GTG perched on top of the=20
cattails.&nbsp; He seemed to be in one spot a good deal of the time that =
I was=20
there. It's pretty close to where the female is making the=20
nest.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Brian Smith</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Sleepy Eye</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0092_01C6710D.525B5A70--