[mou] A starling justice?

Thomas Maiello thomas@angelem.com
Tue, 30 May 2006 12:52:51 -0500

I am apparently a conditional birder as I am been unappreciative of the
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris - how appropriate a scientific
name).  When I lived in Oklahoma the "vulgari" would empty out nest
houses of other birds' active nests and leave white stains all over the
outside of nest boxes or cavities they had stolen from some seemingly
more desirable bird.  (Generally, at least for me, the desirable ones
were those I had to go looking for rather than those, such as Starlings,
that so abundantly volunteered to dance before me everyday at my
feeders.)  Nor are their nesting habits within my cleanliness range -
and I am a single guy.  (Imagine if I picked up their habits in my home
- yuk!) Not only do they aggressively chase away any other bird at my
feeders, they even gang up to bully their way.  (Pssst - I do appreciate
their Minnesota winter plumage, but let's keep that between us.)  This
overall behavior has left me a bit numb and even resentful when it comes
to watching or appreciating the species.  By the way, credit is given
one Eugene Scheifflin, an amateur ornithologist and Shakespeare fan for
introducing this delight to us.  He wanted to bring all the birds listed
in Shakespeare's plays to North America, so he reportedly transported
80-100 European Starlings to Central Park in New York City in 1890 and
released them.  Today there are an estimated 200 million starlings in
America and it seems most at least visit the feeder in my front yard.  I
offer this feeder in sacrifice to keep the feeders outside my office
window for the most part Starling (and Grackle) scarce.

Why am I telling you something you already may know?  I got an insight
to how the saying "What goes around, comes around" might be taught
through observations of Starlings.  I was watching my front yard feeder
and noticed purposeful and intense movement in the relatively high grass
in my yard.  It was an adult Starling quickly clambering through the
grass apparently desperate searching for food.  It was the apparent
desperation that caught my eye.  In its almost frenzied movement it
would  disappear and reappear in the grass. It was by chance, after a
few moments of watching, that I noticed the bird was being pursued by
another bird on the ground walking a few inches behind it and keeping
low.  It was an almost fully grown offspring of the parent Starling -
plain with grayish-brown head blending to black wings without
significant spotting and a pointy bill with yellow portions - obviously
not a young cowbird.  This gaping child was aggressively pursuing its
parent and, to my surprise, would actually peck and snap at the parents
feathers or body in an apparent and almost constant attempt to get its
attention.  Meanwhile the adult was now in a frenzied search for food as
fast as I have ever seen a bird search.  Every 3-4 seconds the youngster
would bolt forward and stab at the adult - I couldn't be sure if it was
pecking the adult's body or just trying to grab its feathers.  As the
adult picked up its intensity to search for food, the youngster picked
up its intensity to get its attention.  Every 15-20 seconds the adult
would find some form of food and turn and place it in the youngster's
gaping mouth, only to be snapped at again the second the morsel had
reached the youngster's gullet.  I watched this behavior with
fascination for almost 15 minutes.  My guess is that the parent was
going to sleep well that night out of pure exhaustion - if the youngster
would leave it alone long enough.

I don't think I have ever really watched a Starling for that long or
seen such an aggressive and physical pursuit and interplay with a hungry
fledgling.  At first I actually felt a little sorry for the adult and a
little hostility for the offspring.  Then I realized that for all my
judgments of Starlings. . . I felt this unexpected appreciation for the
birds.  I will ponder the lessons that nature gives me.  As for "What
goes around, comes around" - Ow! - my brain hurts.

Thomas Maiello
Spring Lake Park