[mou] Re: thinking about Cave Swallows

Jesse Ellis jme29@cornell.edu
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:38:41 -0700

Chad's comment is a great one.  After last fall's incredible fallout
along the south shore of Lake Ontario (some birders reported large
flocks of Cave Swallows), and greater observer awareness of these
birds, I hope people will look.  The birds tend to congregate on the
south shores of large bodies of water, or migrate past migrant traps
like Cape May.  I think your best bet in Minnesota would be ...  you
guessed it... in Duluth.  You might have the chance of seeing birds
coming in from Wisconsin along the lake, or birds blown further north
and moving south along the North Shore.  Park Point seems decent in
my mind - look for other swallows and check.  Depending on where they
blow, Mille Lacs or other large lakes could be good spots to check
too.  My lifer came a few minutes from my house in Ithaca, New York
(I'm transplanted, originallys from the Cities) a few years ago when
6 birds showed up at the south end of Cayuga Lake, which is 40 miles
long north-south.

Glad to see that MN birders are thinking about this.  Cave Swallow
seems high on the list for next state records.

Hm.  Wonder what other birds people think might turn up first?

Jesse Ellis
Seattle, WA

--
Jesse Ellis, Ph. D. candidate
Neurobiology and Behavior

"Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich, and
you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you:
take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs. And take
them down."

Herman Blume, in "Rushmore"