[mou] Birding in the rain, just birding in the rain

chetmeyers@visi.com chetmeyers@visi.com
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 15:01:57 -0500

Chet Meyers writes:
The past two days have seen hundreds (probably thousands) of warblers pass
through the Minneapolis City lakes area. The cold NW wind yesterday was a good
catalyst in what has already been a great fall warbler migration.  Yesterday a
steady stream came through our backyard near the north end of Lake of the
Isles, from 7:30 a.m. until at least 4:00 p.m.  It made doing yard work quite
difficult.  Today, in the rain, Steve Carlson and I found nineteen different
species in the city lakes area (Harriet, Isles, Calhoun, Cedar. Highlights
included a brilliant, semi-late, Canada, also blackpoll, orange-crowned,
bay-breasted, n. parula, and black-throated green.  I look forward to drizzly
days like this during migration as they are just super days for seeing birds up
close.  Today we saw our first brown creeper of the fall and two days ago, at
the Bass Ponds, I saw my first orange-crowned warbler of the fall. Kinglets
also are back.
Chet Meyers, Hennepin County