[mou] White-winged Crossbill, Anoka County

Doug Kieser DKieser@CLYNCH.COM
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 15:24:00 -0500

Today at about noon I observed a male White-winged Crossbill perched
atop a dead Tamarack at the far end of the trail that heads east from
the Linwood Lake boat access.  I had a clear view of the bird for about
1 minute a distance of 20 yards.  All pertinent field marks were
observed, pink body, broad white wing-bars on black wings, crossed bill.
Eventually the bird flew to the south, calling as it went.
20 species of warblers were observed on my walk to the end of the trail
and back, American Redstarts were the most abundant species.  Highlights
included 5 Northern Parula, single Orange-Crowned, Blackpoll,
Golden-winged, Canada.
Doug Kieser =20
Minneapolis