[mou] Hornets Nest vs. Birds Nest

Holly Peirson hpeirson@pclink.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 10:56:00 -0500

I haven't had time to actually read these articles yet, but if one looks a
little further at this issue, one can see -- and read :o)  about global
warming, a huge conservation issue, in several spots within, i.e., On Thin
Ice, pp. 66, about Greenland; Selling the Wind, pp. 55, pros and cons about
wind energy -- there is also a 1-day conference about this topic coming up
in mid-Oct in Wisconsin, for more info on that go to www.audubon.org/mn/mn
(The Audubon MN website); and a pull-out poster on what citizens can do at
home to conserve energy called Power to the People, pp 61; so I always try
to look beyond the travel ads to the substance. I've been finding a LOT more
to like about the magazine in recent issues.

Change sometimes takes place at a snail's pace, and old ways of paying for
publications die hard. They are making one of the only efforts to be
conservation-minded, while still getting their message out. When I go to the
book store's magazine section or the local Shinders, I see that hardly any
other publications even TRY to use paper that is at least somewhat recycled
and have no coatings to make them non-recyclable... And there sure are a lot
of them, therefore hundreds of opportunities to write letters to less
conservation-minded organizations, is I guess one way to look at it!

Holly Peirson
Forest Lake, Anoka Co.

BTW: I enjoyed reading about raingardens and the like in Bloomington on the
blog you put at the bottom of your post, thanks.