[mou] Sabine's Gull, jaegers in Duluth

Peder Svingen psvingen@d.umn.edu
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:08:00 -0500

Ty and Ida Baumann, Robbye Johnson, Daryl Tessen, and others have been
lake watching from Wisconsin Point yesterday and today. The Baumanns
reported seeing an Arctic Tern on the Wisconsin side of the state line
yesterday morning. A juvenile Sabine's Gull (probably the same one seen
by Jim LInd et al. at 5:15 PM today) was seen both yesterday and today
by a number of birders at Wisconsin Point.
Exceptional numbers of jaegers were also seen off Wisconsin Point
today, including a well-marked adult light-morph Parasitic with tail
streamers that was well seen on both sides of the state line--probably
the same individual reported by Kim Eckert and others this afternoon.
At about 5:15 PM, we had distant looks at a large, blackish,
broad-winged jaeger harassing gulls near Gull Bluff--its wingspan
appeared to be similar to that of the Ring-billed Gull that it was
chasing. The adult Lesser Black-backed Gull first seen 9 September was
observed this afternoon on the Minnesota side of the Superior Entry.
--
Peder H. Svingen
Duluth, MN