[mou] Aitkin Grackle +

Pastor Al Schirmacher PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 07:46:22 -0600

Ventured north to Aitkin County yesterday (2/10) - Tamarack, CR 5/Palisade,
CR 18, CR 3 & 1.

Tamarack - Nine Sharp-tailed Grouse present, eight 1/2 mile south of town,
one under the second set of feeders on Kestrel Avenue.  Pine Grosbeaks & a
single Shrike also present.

CR 5/Palisade - Surprisingly, found a Grackle hanging with a Pine
Siskin/Purple Finch (two of the latter) flock.  Very expressive in negative
degree temperatures!  Had Pine Grosbeaks both in town and on four parts of
CR 5.

CR 18 - rather quiet, flock of Redpolls (tough for me to find since 1/1)
east of CR 5 intersection, four Gray Jays along "Pietz" Road.

CR 3 & 1 - very quiet, did not find Black-backed/Three-toed at customary
location five miles past the CR 1 intersection.  Single Shrike is all I can
report (both on the day were close to feeders).

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties

PS Of course, no Red Crossbills present.