[mou] MRVAC - SE Minnesota - Field Trip Report - February 19, 2007

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan@msn.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:19:12 -0600

February 19, 2007

Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter
South East Minnesota
Field Trip Report

Spent the day birding in Southern Minnesota with a group from my Audubon
Chapter.  The spring like weather was a treat and the birding was very
enjoyable as well.  Roads are clear, with snow cover on most of the fields.
Here are some of the species we encountered.

Golden Eagle - Houston County, CR 5, Approx 2 miles South East of CR 14, or
1 mile West of Quarry Road - A single Adult
               Golden Eagle was observed in flight at 2:10 pm and was seen
in the area for about 15 minutes.  We also
               observed a number of Bald Eagles and Red-tailed Hawks along
CR 5 and all were observed within a mile of
               where the Golden Eagle was observed.
Mourning Dove - small flocks were observed at 4 locations in Fillmore and
Houston Counties.
Eastern Screech-Owl - Olmsted county
Belted Kingfisher - Highway 30, along the bridge just West of the
intersection with Highway 52.  The bird was observed
                    sitting on a wire over the creek.
Red-headed Woodpecker - Olmsted county - CR 19, South of Highway 52
Northern Flicker - 3 observed at different locations along Houston county
road 5.
Horned Lark - They are back and were observed in small groups on almost
every gravel road we traveled along.
Tufted Titmouse - Olmstead county - Highway 30, observed at a feeder on the
North side of the road, 2.6 miles West of
                  Highway 52.
                  Houston County - CR 5, same location as the Golden Eagle
and 3 more were observed 3 miles East of
                  that location along CR 5.
American Robin - Houston - 100+ were observed at 4 stops along CR5.
Purple Finch - Fillmore county - Eagle Bluff Environmental Learning Center -
20 or 30 observed at there feeders.

Craig Mandel, Minnetonka, MN
EgretCMan@msn.com