[mou] Carlos Avery/Boot Lake SNA

linda birds@moosewoods.us
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:49:46 -0500

(along a snowmobile trail accessed by taking Lexington Ave. to Jordell
Drive/St. NE, which becomes Saturn Ave.; the trail entrance is by
Saturn's intersection with 205th St.--this trail runs into Carlos Avery,
  BUT BE WARNED THAT CARLOS AVERY'S USUAL ENTRY ROADS ARE CURRENTLY
CLOSED, presumably for poor driving condition, so check with staff if
you plan to go there:

at least 7 flickers dining at the trailside in various places

one E. bluebird (m) perched above the trail, then investigating a nearby
tree cavity; on our return along the path, we heard a bluebird in the
same area making soft noises, close to the ground, just off the trail,
among trees with many small cavities (we tried to locate its exact
position, to no avail)

5 sightings of shrike, probably at least two individuals, based on an
apparent size difference, actively hunting from small trees and shrubs

redtail hawk (in addition to a few en route)

at least 3 bald eagles on Boot Lake: two immature on the ice, one adult
who flew from the ice up to the nest in an evergreen

twice distantly heard only, sandhill cranes

Linda Whyte