[mou] Dakota/Goodhue, highways and byways

linda whyte linda@moosewoods.us
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:42:05 -0500

Today we "sampled" by car--an appetizer to spring birding. On the advice
of an experienced friend, we checked out the woods and fields near the
intersection of Hwy. 52 with 42, by the Rosemount water tower, where
some Swainson's hawks have nested in the past. She had just seen some
intriguing raptors in the vicinity.

Driving into the field, all the way to the water tower, we found a
sizable wet area, from which flushed a raptor that was definitely not a
redtail hawk. It circled low, around to the west/northwest of the tower,
flew over 52, and disappeared  beyond some trees there. We never did
identify it, though we did find a likely raptor nest, of some depth and
mass, in the trees to the northeast. On the return drive at 5:00 we
rechecked the area; this time we saw a hawk perched in a small tree at
the edge of the woods bordering 42. It sat long enough for us to decide
it wasn't a Swainson's, but more likely a young redtail, unlike the one
we'd seen in the morning.

The rest of the day was heavily spiced with redtails as well, including
  a nesting pair on the west side of Hampton Blvd. in Hampton, just NW
of the Hampton Sportsman's Club (and across from the statue of a man in
yellow shorts!). We witnessed a "changing of the guard" on the nest; one
hawk soared over the field, giving the slip to some crows, then slid
into the trees to perch on the nest. Up popped its mate, and off into
the woods, while the first one settled down to duty. There was a kestrel
  hunting just north of this site and later in the day, many eagles
perched or soaring, but witnessing this "domestic" behavior was a
special treat.

By chance, we spotted in the same location a shrike. We drove a farm
road into the field behind the Sportsman's Club. At the top of the hill
was a small island of trees and shrubs. The shrike perched there for
some time, surveying. It finally dropped down seemingly into the
grasses, and disappeared.

Before hiking Barn Bluff we stopped by Colville Park. Along with the
usual residents were 6 great blue herons--our first of the year, and a
nice "dessert" on a delicious day.
(Bon appetit)
Linda Whyte