[mou] Eurasian Wigeon is a hybrid

Chris Fagyal cfagyal@avianphotos.org
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 19:11:03 -0500

All,

Looking at Sibley, and various resources on the web and comparing to
what I observed at Hyland Park, i've noticed the following things:

1) The proposed Eurasian Wigeon on Hyland Lake is paler than a "typical
adult male breeding plumaged" Eurasian Wigeon depicted in the field
guides (Sibley and Nat Geo)
2) I did not see any indication (in admittedly less than perfect light,
however I was able to get a decent scope view when it wasn't back lit)
any brown on the sides.  They were a uniform pale grey color.
3) The head was a creamy off-white color.
4) I did not notice any patterning on the head at all, as Sibley
indicates in his few hybrid images.  The head looked to be a relatively
uniform pale reddish/burnt orangish color to me.

Things not able to be seen were the underside of the bird, or the
underside of the wings.  While I was there looking at it, it never did
anything to show the underside of the wings.  I never personally got to
see it in flight.

A few reasonable web resources include:

http://www.americanbirding.org/pubs/birding/archives/vol37no2p156to164.pdf

<www.americanbirding.org/pubs/birding/archives/vol37no2p156to164.pdf>and

http://whatbird.projectwildbird.org/obj/438/overview/target.aspx

Having no personal experience with Eurasian Wigeons (This would be a
life bird if it turns out to be a pure Eurasian), i'll leave it up to
people better qualified than me to determine if it is a hybrid or not.
I didn't personally observe characteristics, other than that it was
paler than I would expect (molting perhaps? or is that the big
characteristic that is leading to a hybrid conclusion?) that would have
led me to that conclusion based upon what I can find on the web and in
print.  Unfortunately I'll be out of town this weekend and likely not
able to see it again until next week if it hangs around.  I wanted to
get better images of the bird, but it was well out in the lake and
didn't seem to be making motions of cozying up next to the shore and
posing for me....  If it is still around next week i'll make another
attempt early on a weekend morning.

Chris