[mou] upcoming MRVAC field trips and birding classes first half of April, Hennepin, Dakota, Anoka Co. + Crex Meadows

Anne Hanley anne_hanley90@hotmail.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:28:09 -0600

Minnesota River Valley (Bloomington) Audubon Chapter Field Trips
All trips are free. Beginning birders and non-members welcome

Field Ornithology, Visitor Center MN Valley NWR
   3815 American Blvd E Bloomington
   Saturday, March 31, 2007 from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm
   George Tkach - 952-975-2972
Subjects will include: avian taxonomy; bird topography; avian physiology and
specialization within species, field marks; migration, adjustment and use of
binoculars; field logs; life lists; bird vocalizations and audio media; web
sites, field trip participation.  Bring binoculars and field guides if you
have them.  This class is free and open to the public but class size is
limited to 20. Call George Tkach to register.

Waterfowl ID trip, Cliff Fen Park Burnsville
    Saturday, March 31, 2007, 2:00 pm
    Craig Mandel - 952-546-3407
We will drive from Cliff Fen to other locations in search of migrant
waterfowl.  For more info or to register, please contact Craig

Isanti/Anoka Counties Birding Day
   Tuesday, April 3, 2007  6:00 am Mtka, 7:00 am Isanti
   Craig Mandel  952-546-3407
This trip will be spent exploring Isanti county and a few locations in Anoka
County.  We will make stops at the Cedar Creek Natural Area, Marget WMA and
a few other small parks.  We will also check out a bunch of lakes for late
waterfowl.  For more information or to
register for this field trip, please contact Craig.

Evening Bird Walk at Old Cedar Ave Bridge
   Wednesday, April 4, 2007 at 6:30 pm
   George Skinner & Anne Hanley- 952-936-0811
Walk refuge trails to search for birds and other wildlife as night settles
over the valley.  We will have a few extra binoculars to loan if needed.
Those staying until dusk will have a chance to view planets and stars.
Pre-registration not required.

Scott County Wetlands and Lakes
   Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 7:30 am to carpool
   George Skinner & Anne Hanley 952-936-0811
Meet at the Burnsville Transit Center  (Hwy 13 and Nicollet Ave) at 7:30 am
to carpool.  Take a driving tour of the lakes and marshes of Scott County as
we look for migrating waterfowl.  There is very little walking involved.  We
should be back at the Transit Center around 3.  Bring a lunch.

Pasque Flowers at Nine Mile Creek Bluff Prairie
   April 10, Tuesday, at 6:00 pm
   Mary Brown  952-885-0913
Enjoy the earliest blooming spring wildflower, Pulsatilla vulgaris, on the
hilly trail and bluffs above the mouth of Nine Mile Creek in Bloomington.
There will be MRVAC service trips here in July and October to remove sumac
and buckthorn.  No pre-registration required.
>From I-35W, exit at 106th Street, go west on 106th to Morgan Ave, turn to
left (south) on Morgan, and continue to the Life Church parking lot.  Meet
at the far end of the parking lot.  If you are late or wish to go another
time, you can go around the Church on the right side to a large lawn area.
At the far back right corner of the lawn is a trail.  Follow the trail until
you come to openings in the woods.  The first area is savanna.  Next, at the
top of the bluff, is the prairie.

Crex Meadows (walking & driving)
   Saturday April 14, 2007 at 7:00 am
   Carpool from NW corner of Southdale parking lot
Chris and Randy Hills, 952-953-3613
We will depart from Southdale at 7 am.  Explore this great marsh and upland
habitat. Crex Meadows is wild, open and windy, so bring layers, sunglasses
and rain gear.  Most stops are outside town, so we suggest you bring food
and drink for the day.  We usually stay until mid-afternoon, but each car
can choose its own departure time.  Bring a scope if you have one. Please
call Chris or Randy to register.

Sparrow ID Class-Visitor Center
   Saturday, April 14, 2007 at 3:00 to 6:30 pm
   Visitor Center 3815 American Blvd E, Bloomington
   Craig Mandel 952-546-3407
We will go over the key field marks needed to identify the sparrows observed
in Minnesota.  We will also
cover some basic tips on when and where to look for sparrows on the
Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge and throughout Minnesota.  At 5 pm
we'll take a short walk on the refuge trails to search for sparrows and
other early spring migrants.  Bring your binoculars and favorite field
guide.  Contact Craig to register.

posted by Anne Hanley, Hennepin County