[mou] Great Gray Owls in Aitkin County

Dave & Sally Elwood ncc1701@minn.net
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 18:22:06 -0600

Yesterday afternoon, Jan 1, I saw the GREAT GRAY OWL which was reported
yesterday by Warren Nelson at the same location (on Aitkin County Road 18
about 1/10 of a mile west of Pietz's road perched on a birch snag).  A
little later, about 4:30 pm, I saw two GREAT GRAY OWLS about 1 mile west of
Pietz's road.

Since my wife and son wanted to see an owl we went back to Aitkin County
Road 18 this morning (Jan 2).  At 8 am we saw a GREAT GRAY OWL about 1/2 of
a mile west of Pietz's road, which flew off into the trees when we stopped.
About 8:20 we found a GREAT GREY OWL about 1 mile west of Pietz's road which
let us have a good look.  About 8:30 a second GREAT GREY OWL landed in a
tree about 50 feet down the road.  The first owl flew down the road towards
the second owl, which left its perch, and the first owl landed where the
second owl had been perched.  The second owl then circled the first owl a
couple of times, then landed in a tree on the opposite side of the road.  A
minute later the second owl flew down the middle of the road straight
towards us, flew a few feet above the car, circled us once and landed in a
tree about twenty feet from us.  It watched us from its perch for about five
minutes, then flew off down the road.  While the second owl was watching us
it swooped towards the car, circled a few feet over us, and landed back in
the tree, twice.

This morning we also saw a GRAY JAY, a NORTHEN SHRIKE, and a ROUGH LEGGED
HAWK as we headed back towards highway 169.

Dave Elwood