[mou] Red-throated Loons

Michael Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Thu, 13 May 2004 11:59:02 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01C438E1.AEFC1690

Hi:

I headed over to Park Pt. to do another census of Common Terns over Lake =
Superior. Yesterday Peder and I counted no fewer than 1500 Common Terns. =
So while scanning near the observation area near the bath house I =
counted 9 Red-throated Loons. They initially were feeding in a loose =
group near the base of the rocky pier at the Superior Entry. Eventually =
they headed closer to me where they were directly in front of the =
airport buildings.

There were at least 1000 Common Terns still mingering around and I also =
spotted a few Caspian Terns and Black Black Terns among them. Infact =
some of the tern hovered over the Red-throated Loons looking for food.=20

I alsos spotted two groups of Scoters that were to far out ot ID. They =
were either Black or Scoter as they were not to far out to eliminate =
White-winged as I saw no white edges to the rested wings. There are =
still hundreds of Scaup on the lake. Not much for landbirds except a =
Brown Thrasher and House Wren which are new migrants.

Yard is still bonkers with sparrows. orioles and ect.. had my first =
Ruby-throated Hummingbird yesterday.

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth
------=_NextPart_000_0031_01C438E1.AEFC1690

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I headed over to Park Pt. to do another =
census of=20
Common Terns over Lake Superior. Yesterday Peder and I counted no fewer =
than=20
1500 Common Terns. So while scanning near the observation area near the =
bath=20
house I counted 9 Red-throated Loons. They initially were feeding in a =
loose=20
group near the base of the rocky pier at the Superior Entry. Eventually =
they=20
headed closer to me where they were directly in front of the airport=20
buildings.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There were at least 1000 Common Terns =
still=20
mingering around and I also spotted a few Caspian Terns and Black Black =
Terns=20
among them. Infact some of the tern hovered over the Red-throated Loons =
looking=20
for food. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I alsos spotted two groups of Scoters =
that were to=20
far out ot ID. They were either Black or Scoter as they were not to far =
out to=20
eliminate White-winged as I saw no white edges to the rested wings. =
There are=20
still hundreds of Scaup on the lake. Not much for landbirds except a =
Brown=20
Thrasher and House Wren which are new migrants.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yard is still bonkers with sparrows. =
orioles and=20
ect.. had my first Ruby-throated Hummingbird yesterday.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Hendrickson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Duluth</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01C438E1.AEFC1690--