[mou] fallout

Steve and Sherry Watson watsup@boreal.org
Thu, 27 May 2004 11:32:46 -0700

This morning I was up early to head out birding with Sue McDonnell, our
plan was to scout out the north shore highlands field trip on the boreal
bird festival.  While I was waiting at the end of my drive way I added
to land birds, a yellow-bellied flycatcher calling and a migrating
Philadelphia vireo.  We didn't come by much until we paused at the Mink
Lake road.  We found a pair of Philadelphia vireos and several warblers
along with some yellow-bellied flycatchers as well.  The warblers
included a female bay-breasted, some Canada's, a blackpoll, some
ovenbirds, N. waterthrush, yellow-rump's, Nashville's, magnolias,
chestnut-sideds', black & white's, blackburnians, black-throated greens,
and redstarts.  We thought we were doing awesome until we reached the
Kimball Lake Camp Grounds and the action was at least tripled.  The
whole area was filled, overflowing with birds, mostly warblers.  There
were hundreds including:
Tennessee warbler - dozens, and dozens
Nashville warbler - hundreds
Orange-crowned warbler - one
N. Parula - several
Chestnut-sided warbler - extremely abundant
Magnolia warbler - many, many
Cape May warbler - many dozens
Blackburnian warbler - several
Black-throated Green warbler - ton's
Yellow-rumped warbler - dozens
Palm warbler - one
Blackpoll warbler - several dozen
Bay-breasted warbler - about half a dozen mostly males
Black & White warbler - several
A. Redstart - overflowing
Connecticut warbler - 3 heard and saw
N. Waterthrush - two
Ovenbird - many, many
Canada warbler - several
Wilson's warbler - half a dozen, heard and saw up close

We also saw several other species including mourning warbler and C.
yellowthroat elsewhere.  On the way home I sighted an olive-sided
flycatcher perched upon the power line just down from my house and only
a couple hundred yards (if that) from being a yard bird.  What a
spectacular day!

Josh Watson
Grand Marais

---